SET is a magazine done by and for local young people. Interest sections may include:
- Money — We love pizza, but love focusing on other dough, too
- Town — Like Al Roker always says, “what’s happening in your neck of the woods”
- Gear — All things tech and gadgetry
- Thrive — Self-improvement, even though you’re great the way you are
- Create — DIY, arts, food and anything you can make with two hands (or less)
- Travel — Bored at home, so we roam
- Play — Sports, activities and anything you can do with your hands and feet
- Entertainment — Everything from the Grammys to shows down the street
We also feature a calendar of events and a “spotlight” featuring photos from some local Tennessee Valley events. If you want to write, we want to hear what you’re interested in — whatever it is you are passionate about, we want your voice to be heard.
For the folks who write
Rules make the world turn, and while some are made to be broken, these aren’t. We are constantly looking for well-written, informative and creative articles that reflect the philosophy of the publication and are relevant to the interests of its’ audience — 15 to 20-somethings in southern Tennessee and north Alabama.
Contributors are encouraged to study back issues to understand the content and style that attribute to the spirit of SET.
Approximate word counts are as follows:
- Half-page: 300-350 words
- Full-page: 700-750 words
- Feature: 1,500-2,000 words
- Online: Unlimited! (Let’s not get crazy, though)
When filling out the contribution form, contributors are asked to use their given name, not a pen or surname.* Please include a current, working email address.
*Exceptions can be made at the editor’s discretion.
For visual artists
SET will happily consider photography and art submissions for all sections of the publication. SET appreciates creativity and is always searching for striking imagery to include with articles.
Photographers: We generally choose one image per article. However, we can include other photography in the online gallery at getsetmag.com, so multiple submissions are encouraged. Submitted photography needs to be a minimum of 300dpi. Photos should be submitted in both RGB and CMYK — feel free to shoot the editor a question about how to do this. It’s a lot easier than it sounds, we promise.
For all photography and art submissions, please include your full given name.
Provide names/places where photos were taken.
Send all submissions via email to [email protected].
Rights and Payment
Payment for articles, photography and art varies and is negotiated between the editor and contributor.
Completed articles not found suitable for publication will receive a payment of 50 percent of the negotiated payment price.
SET buys all rights.